Weapons and Equipment Identification
A collection of online resources and tools to assist with the identification and tracking of firearms, explosives, vehicles, and other military equipment.
- The Weapons ID Database This database was developed with the support of the Royal Armouries UK, and features downloadable weapons ID sheets which detail the visual information required to accurately identify and record particular types of weapons.
- Milsurp Knowledge Library A forum for military surplus firearm collectors. Contains lots of images, descriptions, markings, stamps and plenty of other information. Organized by county of origin or weapon type.
- Municion A searchable database of various firearm ammunition. Provides images, measurements, descriptions and related documentation. The site is written in Spanish, so use a translation service if you don't speak Spanish.
- Cartrology This cartridge collection consists of military rifle, heavy machine gun, and small to medium caliber cannon ammunition. The primary focus is on ammunition up to 35mm caliber made during WWII or later, although some specimens do fall outside of these general guidelines.
- BulletPicker A great resource that lists information regarding ordnance, explosives, rockets, mines and other related items. Organized by type and country of origin. They also offer an offline version, which is really nice.
- Missiles of the World Information on strike capabilities from around the globe. Includes ballistic missiles, cruise missiles, rockets, artillery, and mortars (RAM), and even maneuvering hypersonic boost glide delivery systems. Organized by country, this represents a growing collection of information on global missile systems, with illustrations and up-to-date information on their capabilities and history.
- CORData The Collaborative Ordnance data repository (CORD) enables web-based search of landmine and other explosive ordnance (EO) data to assist humanitarian demining and ordnance disposal operations. Requires you to create an account.
- ODIN Worldwide Equipment Guide The authoritative digital resource for the Worldwide Equipment Guide (WEG), Decisive Action Training Environment (DATE) and accompanying force structures. Has information about almost every piece of modern military equipment. Aircraft, vehicles, missiles, communications, small arms, naval watercraft, radar systems and much more.
- [PDF] Janes Ukraine Conflict Equipment Profile This is an 81 page report from Janes, published February 28th, 2022 that catalogs the various weapon systems and military equipment that is currently being used by Russian and Ukrainian forces. Archived copies available here (Wayback) and here (Library Genesis).
- Motor Vehicles
- DroneWars Drone Crash Database A database that covers crashes of large (Class II and III) military drones since 1/1/2007. It has been compiled from USAF Accident Investigation Board (AIB) Reports, the Wikileaks War Logs, The Washington Post US drone crash database and reports from the general and military press.
- [IMAGE] Submarine Periscopes and Optronic Mast Identification A quick visual identification reference for submarine masts and scopes. Created by @EmbersOfStirn. Archived here (Wayback) and here (archive.today).
- Personnel Equipment
- Gas Masks
- NoFuture Gas Masks One of the most quintessential gas mask information resources available. Although much of the names and descriptions of certain masks are outdated, it is still an excellent encyclopedia of gas masks.
- Camopedia A comprehensive, accurate, and academically-supported database referencing all of the major military and paramilitary camouflage patterns that have been in use around the world since the beginning of the 20th century.
- SIPRI Arms Transfers Contains information on all transfers of major conventional weapons from 1950 to now. It is a unique resource for researchers, policy-makers and analysts, the media and civil society interested in monitoring and measuring the international flow of major conventional arms.
- ConflictArm Publications Supplies unique evidence on weapon supplies into armed conflicts in order to inform and support effective weapon management and control. Offers field guides, identification guides and more.
- SIPRI International Arms Embargoes This archive contains information on all multilateral arms embargoes that have been implemented by an international organization, such as the EU or UN, or by a group of nations. It includes both legally binding embargoes and those that are solely political commitments.
An organized and importable .html bookmark file that includes everything listed on this page.
A PDF copy that contains everything on this page for offline use. Updated - 24/9/2022.